Anne Hathaway on Julie Andrews Missing Princess Diaries 3

CelebrityAnne Hathaway on Julie Andrews Missing Princess Diaries 3

Anne Hathaway has responded to Julie Andrews confirming she will not appear in Princess Diaries 3, saying the door remains open if her former co-star changes her mind. The filmmakers, she added, made a serious effort to persuade Andrews before accepting that Queen Clarisse had apparently issued her final royal decree.

“First of all, I just want to say if she has a change of heart, we’re down,” Hathaway told Entertainment Tonight in an interview published Aug. 17. “But we also want to be respectful. For goodness sakes, if anybody has contributed to the world of entertainment and to our collective joy, it’s her.”

Hathaway, 43, said the production team had pushed “really hard” to find out whether Andrews wanted to return. Ultimately, however, they understood her decision.

“Whatever she wants, we completely understand,” Hathaway said.

What Anne Hathaway wants from the third film

Hathaway is less concerned with royal protocol than with making a sequel that works for both longtime fans and their children. The first Princess Diaries arrived in 2001, meaning some viewers who discovered Mia Thermopolis as children are now parents themselves. Time remains inconsiderate like that.

Most read

  1. CelebrityJessie Cave’s OnlyFans Earnings Beat Acting Pay
  2. NewsRandy Fine Takes Florida Republican Primary
  3. CelebrityNicole Kidman Divorce Offers No Familiar Script

“I just want it to be fun,” Hathaway said. “The women who were six when the first one came out, a lot of whom are now mothers themselves, maybe even with 6-year-olds. I want them to feel like they’re bringing their children to something that mattered to them, a core memory for them, something that was a part of their heart and their lives.”

That nostalgia also creates pressure. Hathaway said the team wants to take enough time to build the film properly rather than rush out another visit to Genovia and hope affection handles the rest.

“And that means doing it justice and that means taking the time that it takes to really build it right,” she said. “That’s a lot of pressure, but I feel like this is a great team.”

Why Julie Andrews decided not to return

Julie Andrews, 90, confirmed her absence in an interview with Today.com published Aug. 10. She said the new film appears to be taking the story in a different direction, with Hathaway’s Princess Mia firmly at its centre.

“I’m not going to be in it,” Andrews said. “I think the story is slightly different, and I’m not quite sure how they’re dealing with that. But it’s too late for me to do it. I think the story has to continue in Princess Mia.”

“It’s her story,” she added. “It’s not really mine.”

The Oscar-winning actor also suggested her decision reflects a broader retreat from screen acting, not any particular objection to returning to Genovia. Andrews, whose more recent work has included a voice role in Bridgerton, told InStyle that retirement was probably the most accurate description of her current position.

She said the creative team had spent “all last year” asking whether she would be interested in participating. Turning them down was not easy.

“It was very, very hard to say ‘no,’” Andrews said, “but I did.”

For now, the third film will move forward around Princess Mia, while Hathaway continues trying to balance nostalgia with a story that can stand on its own. Andrews may no longer be wearing the crown, but the invitation, apparently, has not been withdrawn.

Tags:
princess diaries 3anne hathawayjulie andrewsgenovia

About The Hook Editorial Team

Editorial Team

The Hook Editorial Team delivers daily news reporting and analysis.