Richie Akiva’s Met Gala Party Pivot

CelebrityRichie Akiva’s Met Gala Party Pivot

Page Six reports that Richie Akiva, the nightlife operator long associated with high-wattage Met Gala after-parties, managed a serious last-minute save this year.

According to the outlet, Akiva’s plans hit turbulence just days before the event when potential hosts Madonna and Sabrina Carpenter moved toward their own party. His usual venue, Casa Cipriani, was also no longer the setting. By Saturday, two days before the Met Gala, the outlet says the party looked uncertain.

Then, in what nightlife people tend to call normal and everyone else calls stressful, Akiva reportedly pulled together a new version of the bash in roughly 24 hours.

Kate Moss stepped in as host

Page Six says the party, titled “The Afters,” came together after Akiva secured Kate Moss as a host and moved the event to The Box, the downtown burlesque venue.

Insiders told the outlet that Moss and Akiva are friends and had been casually discussing the idea when it turned into the actual plan. Moss, 52, attended with her daughter Lila, 23.

Most read

  1. CelebrityJessie Cave’s OnlyFans Earnings Beat Acting Pay
  2. CelebrityNicole Kidman Divorce Offers No Familiar Script
  3. NewsRandy Fine Takes Florida Republican Primary

Akiva told Page Six the late scramble will not become his preferred working method.

“Next year I am definitely going to prepare in a much longer time and lock everything in officially way earlier,” he said. “And I am going to do something invitation only.”

He added, “I was super grateful and happy. I love Kate.”

Elie Tahari came in as sponsor, according to the report. Teyana Taylor was also a host and had been involved since the early planning stages.

This marked Akiva’s 12th Met Gala after-party.

The room still filled up

Despite the late announcement, Page Six reports the event drew a major crowd. Guests included Blackpink’s Lisa and Jennie, along with editor Edward Enninful.

Diplo DJ’d for a packed room that also included Ty Dolla $ign, Evan Ross, Selah Marley, and Stefon Diggs. One source told Page Six that burlesque performers had to be moved aside at one point so guests could see Diplo at the decks.

There was also a minor difference in accounts about the room’s energy around the DJ booth. One insider told the outlet Diplo was “flirting” with the dancers, while another insisted, “the burlesque girls were flirting with him.”

Kaytranada also played a set. Busta Rhymes picked up the mic for an impromptu performance, and singer Leon Thomas performed as well.

“The party went amazing,” Akiva told Page Six.

Madonna and Sabrina Carpenter hosted elsewhere

Page Six previously reported that Akiva had been in talks with Madonna and Carpenter to host his party. Both had attended his events before, but Akiva told the outlet that Madonna “wanted to do something smaller” this year.

Madonna’s representative gave Page Six a different framing: “She was never confirmed for any party.” Carpenter’s camp did not respond to the outlet.

Madonna and Carpenter, who recently released the duet “Bring Your Love” from Madonna’s upcoming album Confessions II, ultimately hosted their own Met Gala party at Zero Bond.

Zero Bond is owned by Scott Sartiano, Akiva’s former business partner in the Butter Group. Page Six notes that Sartiano sued Akiva for $15 million in 2018, four years after selling his shares in the company. Sartiano alleged that Akiva misled him by claiming 1OAK and Up & Down were losing money, then persuaded him to accept a buyout through a series of low payments.

The suit was dismissed last January, according to Page Six. The outlet also reports that Akiva and Sartiano had a falling out and have not spoken in years.

Tags:
Richie AkivaMet GalaKate MossMadonnaSabrina CarpenterTeyana TaylorThe BoxCelebrity Parties

About The Hook Editorial Team

Editorial Team

The Hook Editorial Team delivers daily news reporting and analysis.